Here it is, my absolute most favorite cake in the whole wide world. It’s the most requested recipe at Southern Living, honestly it’s hard to describe in words just how good this cake is!!
If you are looking for the perfect cake recipe, here it is!! Besides being unbelieveabley delicious, it’s super easy to make – literally just dump and stir the ingredients for the cake. Only the frosting requires a mixer, if you make it homemadeHummingbird Cake is such a lovely name for a cake. Although I do not know how it got its name, it does seem that it may have something to do with how sugary rich this cake is maybe? just like the nectar that Hummingbirds love to feed on.
This cake is similar to a carrot cake, especially when filled and frosted with the ever popular cream cheese icing.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs- lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 1 (8 ounce can) crushed pineapple -do not drain
- 2 cups bananas, mashed or about 3 – 4 large bananas
- 1 cups pecans or almonds/ walnuts chopped
(it is supposed to be pecans but sometimes I change it up a bit)
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
- Mix together with whisk. Add eggs, vanilla extract, oil, pineapple, bananas and pecans(or nuts of choice) and mix until all ingredients are moistened
- Spray 3 (9 inch) round cake pans or one 9 x 13 inch pan. Cook in preheated 350 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes until cake is done in center. Then Frost with cream cheese frosting or any favorite frosting you may have!
Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pound box (about 3 2/3 cups) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans